UPDATE MAY 16th
Our clubhouse is set to open May 20th Wednesday for the season. After working closely with Worksafe BC and the BC Gov we have created a plan that is dedicated to patron and staff safety. A copy of our plan can be found here
UPDATE MAY 13 2020
Sunset Ranch Golf Course is open under strict covid-19 distancing. Our clubhouse is currently scheduled to open May 20th for the season with enhanced distancing measures in place!
Thank you to everyone who has visited Sunset Ranch and followed the protocols in place.
We appreciate your patience and look forward to seeing everyone at Sunset Ranch this year!
UPDATED APRIL 15th 2020
Now open for the 2020 Season
1. The safest way to golf our course is by walking. If you can walk Sunset Ranch, we recommend it. If you are unable to walk the course, power carts will be single rider only with the exception of spouses residing at the same residence. If you own your own private cart you may only ride with a spouse of residence. Power carts will be on a first come first serve basis. However, with a fleet of 72 carts and 35 private carts we expect to these numbers to suffice demand. All power carts will be cleaned and sanitized after every round by our Staff and we will be offering cleaning solutions on the 1st Tee box for you to do any additional sanitization.
2. All flag sticks must remain in the holes. Sunset Ranch will have a system in place for you to easily extract your ball from the hole without having to touch anything.
3. There will be no ball washers or bunker rakes on the course. Please rake the sand with your foot/shoe.
4. Washrooms will be closed on the golf course for the foreseeable future. We recognize some people will take advantage of trees and bushes, so please keep it away from the houses and other golfers.
5. Water jugs will not have any water on the course, please bring your own from home and do not share with others.
6. Marshalls will be on site watching groups to ensure adherence to the social distancing measures. We have a zero-tolerance policy for those who ignore the social distancing rule and this is because we care greatly for the wellbeing of everyone who uses our facilities. At any time we could be shut down (likely until the end of May or June) by Interior Health, should we have any distancing infractions. Anyone not following our policy will be asked to leave the course immediately.
7. With our grounds staff out preparing the course for play (mowing fairways and rough etc), we are asking all walkers on the course to please find alternative locations starting Monday.
1. To ensure more distance between tee times, we will be spacing times 15 minutes apart instead of the usual 8 minutes.
2. We kindly ask that you do not arrive for more than 20 minutes before your scheduled time to tee off. This will alleviate crowds of people in or around the clubhouse.
3. If you are golfing in more than a 4-some (groups of 8-12-16 member groups) your tee times must be predetermined. Please do not make your groups at the course, etc.
4. The putting green will be limited to the group “ON DECK”. Any additional practicing will be limited to the chipping green.
1. We will only be allowing 3 people into the pro shop at a time. Members do not need to check in for their tee times. Please follow the clearly marked instructions.
2. You must have a tee time confirmed before coming to the course. Please call the Pro shop in order to confirm a time. Please help to make our job a little bit easier and don’t just show up expecting to find a game and play.
3. If you have not paid for your membership this season, please call the pro shop and Mike or Jeff will be happy to get your transaction completed so you do not need to wait in line when you arrive.
4. The handicap computer will be temporarily out of service. You have two options to enter your scores. #1- do it at home on your golf Canada app or website or #2- drop your card off in the box by the handicap computer and our staff will enter your scores for you. Sorry for the inconvenience but we see the limiting of communal spaces to be necessary. If you do enter your scores from home, please note the changes to the equitable stroke control. Max net double bogey per hole.
5. Washrooms will be limited to 3 people at a time. Staff will be by to sanitize the bathrooms frequently. Wash your hands as often as possible and additionally, please also use the hand sanitizer placed at each washroom door.
6. Although we will accept cash, we kindly ask you pay with your debit or credit card.
Food and Beverage:
1. At this time the clubhouse will be closed.
2. We are working with Interior Health to allow our concession to be open. At this time, we unfortunately don’t have an answer for you on what exactly will be available. As soon as more information is readily available we will update you with what we know, thank you for being understanding in this regard.
3. As aforementioned, there will be no water available on the course. We recommend that you bring your own personal water bottle from home. Our Staff will not be able to handle any personal cup/mugs to ensure the safety of themselves as well as yourself.
We understand that opening at this time may not suit every individual’s personal situation. Please consider your own health and know the risks prior to playing golf. Should you feel ill we kindly ask you stay home out of respect for others. We cannot stress this point enough, risking the health of those around you should you feel ill is simply not worth a round of golf. The wellbeing of our Members, Guests and Staff is incredibly important to us. Should you have returned home recently from travels, we require you stay home for the federally mandated 14-day period.
Sunset Ranch, along with all of the golf courses in Kelowna, know that we can offer a beautiful and safe environment for you to be active outside should everyone follow procedures correctly. The wellbeing of the community is imperative to us and bringing you the sport you love in the safest manner possible is our sole objective.
As you know, the circumstances unfolding in front of us are fluid and subject to change at any time, thank you for your compliance in the new procedures and for your patience as we figure out how to operate effectively in this time. Together let’s safely enjoy the sunshine and a great game of golf!
UPDATED: March 23rd 2020
It is with sadness that we have come to the decision to postpone the opening date of our golf course this season. While the weather and the greens are looking promising, based on BC Golf Association recommendations in conjunction with Interior Health, many of the golf courses here in the Okanagan have decided to enact on the socially responsible resolution and close/remain closed at this time. We will be postponing our opening for a minimum of two weeks from now or until we receive any further updates from governing regulatory bodies on changes to the COVID-19 Situation.
Please know that this decision was not made lightly, but we remain optimistic in this time that the 2020 season will begin at a later date. The decision is derived from our concern to the health, wellbeing and security of the Members and Staff that trust in us as their golf operations. We are constantly listening to updates from regulatory bodies regarding the pandemic. While information can change daily, we appreciate your patience and understanding as your wellbeing and security is pivotal to us. We understand these changes can be confusing and aren’t always ideal, but we thank you for your continued support that is allowing us to patiently wait-out this hurdle in our opening.
While COVID-19 brings great uncertainty, it also brings families a little bit closer, reminds us that we’re all human and connects us together through the excitement that the golf season will return as soon as it is safe to do so. Sunset Ranch was your golf course last year, and we plan on remaining your golf course from here on out. We’re not going anywhere and this is just a temporary plan; because in such an amazing local community like the Okanagan Valley, we care about the wellbeing of our community above all else.
Thank you for your continued support through these times, stay healthy and we’ll see you soon,
The Team at Sunset Ranch
Members & Guests of Sunset Ranch Golf & Country Club,
Following closely with Federal and Provincial health recommendations, Sunset Ranch is proactively taking steps to do everything possible to promote a sanitary, sterile environment for you and your golf related operations. As leaders in the community, we take social responsibility very seriously and consequently, we are pushing back the tentative opening date of the Clubhouse Restaurant into early April to match the course opening date. We want to emphasize the importance of meticulously adhering to public health recommendations with our sole priority being the wellbeing of all that put their trust in us as their golf operation this 2020 season.
Know with confidence that our Staff at Sunset Ranch has been made aware of necessary sanitization procedures that we will implement immediately in our restaurant and around the course on both a daily and hourly basis. Our Staff has been educated and will collectively work together to rigorously sterilize any surfaces you may come in contact with. We have informed all of our Staff if they are feeling unwell at all to refrain from coming into work and practice self-isolation.
Procedural Changes to Expect:
The following procedures are reactive to the fluidity of evolving regulations and are subject to change at any time following public health recommendations:
What we ask from Members & Guests:
Perhaps the most vital part of preventing the virus is for all those planning on still golfing this year to recognize illness and understand that leaving your home with COVID-19 or similar flu like symptoms can greatly jeopardize other individuals, especially those with a compromised immune system. If you’re feeling unwell, simply don’t attend; it’s not worth the 18 holes if it ultimately protects yourself and those in your community. If you’re in our facilities, we ask that you take accountability for your own hygiene by frequent hand washing, sanitization and practicing social distancing. Thank you immensely for adhering to and accepting these modifications under the circumstances we face together.
Playing Golf During the COVID-19 Virus
Recommendations from GOLF.com suggest:
Being in an open, outdoor environment is ideal right now. Thus, golfing can still be a reasonably safe activity if everyone collectively takes steps towards actively preventing the spread of COVID-19.
For further details, please read “Golf and the Coronavirus: how to play with confidence, according to an expert” available at: https://www.golf.com/news/2020/03/14/playing-golf-coronavirus-expert/.
Please understand that all measures are being taken out of interest for your wellbeing. We value your security, safety and ultimately your trust in us as your golf course and clubhouse operations. Please know that we are fluid in adapting to the ever-evolving novel virus and related regulations. Consequently, our operations and procedures could change at any given time. Do not hesitate to contact us with your questions or concerns, we understand that it is a confusing and concerning time for many.
Stay safe & we’ll see you soon for our opening,
The Team at Sunset Ranch Golf & Country Club